Third and fourth party ad tracking is allowed on Cars.com subject to the following guidelines and policies. Clients/agencies must comply with these guidelines to serve ads with pixel tracking (tags/beacons) on Cars.com’s websites.
- Pixels/tags/beacons or analytics scripts are allowed only for monitoring, advertising management, analytics and/or performance tracking (i.e., sales tiebacks).
- Pixels can be utilized to improve creative performance, and data collected outside of Cars.com may be used to improve creative performance.
- Client/agency may not associate cookies, web beacons or other tracking mechanisms with personally identifiable information (PII) for behavioral targeting, geo-targeting, retargeting or the creation of segments of the Cars.com audience. Without limiting the foregoing, client/agency agrees not to engage in any behavioral targeting, geo-targeting or retargeting of users of Cars.com’s website(s) outside of Cars.com website(s) using data collected from users of Cars.com website(s).
- The storage of, or attempt to capture referring URL or Cars.com’s URL where the ad unit is placed, is prohibited.
- Supported campaign tracking mechanisms are viewability, bot tracking and validating ad safe content.
- Blocking the creative from rendering based on page content, geo-targeting or other criteria is prohibited.
- Ad loading or page performance issues must not be caused.
- Pixel must load after the initial ad load is complete.
- Pixel request must be a direct request. Redirects are not allowed.
- Pixel must be under 1K.
- Pixel must be HTTPS compliant.
- Flash cookies are not permitted.
- Cars.com does not support site-served tracking.
- Cars.com accepts up to two pixels per ad, which should be served appended to the tag.
- Multiple vendor tracking and/or fourth-party calls must be connected as a single asset, in a standard format 1×1 pixel, and fire simultaneous calls to each vendor.
- Client/agency is responsible for stringing together the pixels.
- The pixel will not be used for billing by Cars.com to client.
- Pixel must not add to any ad counting discrepancies.
- Third and fourth party vendors must be approved/certified by Cars.com and meet its quality standards for availability, response time, and security of the ad server.1
- Cars.com will not maintain the relationship with any third and fourth party vendors.
- Cars.com is not responsible for any fees associated with these services.
- Pixels may not be added to ad tags without Cars.com’s prior approval and acceptance of these guidelines and policies. Specify the following in tracking requests:
- Measurement vendor
- Measurement product(s)
- Pixel or tag type: 1×1, JS tag
- Associated placements
- Example of the pixel/tag
- By advertising on an Cars.com website, client/agency is agrees to be bound by the provisions of Section XII of the IAB Standard Terms and Conditions for Internet Advertising for Media Buys of One Year of Less, Version 3.0 (https://www.iab.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IAB_4As-tsandcs-FINAL.pdf), which will control in the event of any conflict with the applicable insertion order or in the IAB Standard Terms and Conditions, Version 2.0 (to the extent that version is applicable to the parties).
- Cars.com reserves the right to add, remove or modify its guidelines and policies, and to reject or remove any advertisement, at any time.